- An interactive group activity that occurs as a discussion between teachers and students. The discussion is structured by 4 key strategies.
1. Asking Questions
2. Clarifying Meaning
- Initially Teachers will lead the discussion, but will eventually let the Students take over and ask each other the same questions that the teacher has modeled.
- Students work in small groups to achieve a common goal.
- Teacher will select the groups to make them more productive generally containing both high and low achievers.
- Students are given clear guidelines on how to behave.
- Group members depend on one another for success.
- Structure is provided to encourage and promote productive learning behavior.
- Teachers monitor the groups to make sure they are being productive, but do not actively participate in the activity.
- Students are held individually accountable for their achievement and are rewarded for group success.